Wednesday 13 February 2013

einstein - capturing the mood

This is strictly a pen on paper sketch. Wrong strokes once marked, are marked forever. The first try was more of a tracing and filling up of the general features of Einstein's face. I did like the outcome... but once I compared it to the reference photo side by side, a lot of flaws could clearly be detected.

Einstein sketch 1

Einstein second attempt

On the second try, I mostly looked at the photo in the computer monitor and sketched on a sheet of paper and looked down less times. The negative critic inside the mind was silenced, and I tried to be patient. Very slowly similarities began to appear between the actual face and the sketch. I read about this technique in "Keys to Drawing" by Bert Dodson. His books are very encouraging and much less threatening for a budding artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment